Monday, April 6, 2009

Sweaty? Salty? Stinky?

If you're like me, after a run you're soaking wet, salt-crusted, and have a less-than-fresh aroma, even in the winter! One of my favorite weekly running routines is to meet my running group early every Saturday morning for a long run. Afterwards we head to Panera's for bagels and coffee to relax and socialize. I usually keep a change of clothes in the car, but even then I'm worried that my post-run condition will offend other patrons at the restaurant. Only consolation is that the rest of my group is in the same shape I am. That is until one of my Twitter friends, Martha Van (MarthaVan) shared with me a product she's created called ActionWipes.

ActionWipes are sports wipes made specifically for adults. A quote on the ActionWipe Website says, "Your face is not a baby's butt. Don't wipe it like one!" That kind of says it all. Martha's created an oversized moist towelette that's durable, washable, alcohol free, that's safe for your face, sensitive skin, kids, and pets. You can even use them as a warm compress by heating them in the microwave or as a cold pack by placing them in the freezer or using them with ice. I was curious (as always) and asked her if I could try a pack. Because of my sensitive skin, I was a little skeptical about the wipes, but I gave them a try after last week's long run. Result? They worked great! The wipe was big enough that I only needed one to clean my face. The fragrance was nice. Didn't smell like a baby nor was it too perfumey. Best of all, I didn't break out. It usually takes a few hours for a rash to develop if I'm going to have a reaction, but none occurred.

Another good thing about ActionWipes that a typical baby wipe can't do is be reused. Yep, you can wash the wipes and use them later like a regular cleaning rag. I haven't tried these claims out, but the Website says the wipes are also good for soothing sunburn, insect bites and poison ivy, as well as cleaning scrapes, cuts, and road rash. I tried the "Big Wipes." You can also purchase natural bug repellant, slick lube, body wash, and body cream. Check them out at ActionWipes.com or at the ActionWipe blog.
You're in luck Panera's patrons of Greensboro! You'll have one less salty, smelly runner on Saturday mornings! Thanks Martha!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this...I'm always looking for something for those "Sure, I just finished my run; I can meet you at..." moments. :-)

Unknown said...

I was just thinking about this yesterday during my race about how I would love to have something to wipe the salt and sweat off my face and neck.
I will give'em a try for my next Ultra coming up.

RunnerDude said...

Hey Amy and Nick! Another cool feature is that the wipes come in a sturdy resealable pouch or zippered plastic baggie so the remaining wipes won't dry out after you've opened the pack and you can easily store them in a cycle pack, fanny pack or in your car for after your workout. Wish I had thought of these! After three kids and a bazillion baby wipes, you think it would have. LOL!

Anonymous said...

...makes it even better.

I linked this blog on facebook for my random running friends. Too good not to share.

Anonymous said...

Interesting. I have always just used baby wipes for the bod and facial cosmetic wipes for my face.

RunnerDude said...

Thanks Amy! Appreciate it!

RunnerDude said...

Hi Pigtailsflying! Yep, but the cool thing about these is you can use them all over and one wipe goes a long way since it' so much bigger and durable than a regular wipe. Just be sure to do your face first before using one elsewhere. LOL! Happy Running!