Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Loopy Labels

Have you tried reading a food label lately? With today's cleaver advertising, even a "nutrition nut" can be mislead by food label claims. In general, I try to be very conscious of what I'm eating. When training for a marathon, I usually increase the carbs and protein. When looking at the protein and carb content of foods, I usually skim over the other ingredients listed on the nutrition label as well as the list of ingredients. You'd be surprised sometimes at the amount of "bad" fat and/or sodium in some foods. And, what exactly does "low-fat" mean? And how about "light" And why do some foods claim to be "fat-free" when I see a fat listed in the ingredients?

Well, there are actually government guidelines for when these so-called "helpful terms" can be used. Bottom line, "light" may not be as light as you think and "fat-free" doesn't necessarily mean there's no fat.

Based on the FDA guidelines I created the Food Label Decoder below to help you be a more discerning shopper on your next visit the grocery store.
When you pick up something "light-and-healthy" take a closer look to see exactly what you're getting. Light-and-healthy could make you big-and-unhealthy if you're not careful.

Good luck!

4 comments:

Running Through Life said...

Thanks for the handy breakdown. These labels can be very deceiving.

RunnerDude said...

Hey Running Through Life! I got so confused. I though Reduced would have have been better than lite but that's not always the case. Those sneaky marketing guys.

PhilMutrie said...

Hello Thad,

Another great post.... Really good information.... I think your blog came into play at the right time.... I going on to 40 and that bulge in the stomach is starting to push out.... It just doesn't want to go down.... LoL.... It's not that bad though.... I just think it is.... I would love to see a post on some pointers for that!!!!

To Your Success,

Philip J. Mutrie
CEO - Founder

http://www.PhilMutrie.comhttp://www.52OnlineBusinessTips.comTwitter ID: http://www.twitter.com/philmutrie

Philip J. Mutrie said...

Hi Thad....

Sorry to leave this here so just delete after you read if you can.... Your not following me on Twitter so I cannot reply to your question....

Your ranking is 2.7 million which is good.... Your getting good traffic.... You would require Firefox as a browser. Go to Google using Firefox and search for Alexa Sparky.... It will be the first in the search results.... Install the plug-in and you will notice it on the bottom right hand side.... To every landing page you visit, it will show the ranking....

The higher the number, the worse off the site is and the lower the number the better.... Your in a pretty good spot.... :o)

Your blog is interesting.... It would be nice to interview someone of your expertise.... I find your blog very interesting....

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER.... LoL....

Regards,
Philip J. Mutrie