Monday, May 4, 2009

Running Mantra Contest!

Often the mental aspects of running can far outweigh the physical. If you're not in the right mindset, then you're probably going to have a rough run. Sometimes even when you are in the right mindset, other factors (illness, weather, heat, unexpected killer hills, etc.) can turn the most determined runner into a weeping puddle. That's when having a mantra is vital. Being able to repeat something strong and meaningful to remind you what you're all about can many times lift you up and enable you to do superhuman things.

I want to know the running mantras you use to get through the rough spots. During this week (5/4-5/9), email your running mantras to me at runnerdudeblog@yahoo.com. My running buddies, The BlueLiners, are helping me select the top 10 most original mantras. On 5/10, I'll post on the blog a Running Mantra Poll listing the top 10 mantras selected by the group. Then you'll have the rest of that week to vote on your favorite of the top 10 mantras. On Sunday, May 17, the winning mantra will be announced. The winner will receive a $50 gift certificate to Road Runner Sports!

17 comments:

Gina Harris said...

Thanks for the great posts! I enjoy reading them and they are very helpful.

Gina

RunnerDude said...

Hey Gina! Sure thing! I'm so glad you find them helpful. Be sure to send in your mantra!

Felice Devine said...

Great idea! I will email you w/my mantra!

RunnerDude said...

Hey The Happy Runner! Great! I'll be on the lookout for it!

Anonymous said...

So...I sent you my mantra...can't wait to see the list!

RunnerDude said...

Hey Amy! Awesome! You should have gotten a confirmation email that your mantra was recieved. If not, let me know! The mantras are starting to come in and there are some really good ones including yours! Thanks!

Ms. V. said...

Nice! Now...if I could only think of something unique...

RunnerDude said...

Hey Ms. V! Well, I've realized that what may not be unique to one is very unique to another, so, give it your best shot. Submit whatever works for you on your runs. Thanks!

RunningLaur said...

I'm going to have to think of a mantra now... hmm...

RunnerDude said...

Hey RunningLaur! I look forward to seeing your mantra. Having one really is helpful and it may win you $50 bucks!! :-)

Ron said...

cool idea :)

RunnerDude said...

Hey Ron! Thanks man. Look forward to seeing yours!

Jeff P said...

I just sent my mantra.
Is there an RSS feed for this blog? If so, I can't find it and would love to add it to my Google Reader.

RunnerDude said...

Hey Jeff P.! Thanks for the mantra! I'll check the email and get it added to the list. For the RRS feed...I think if you scroll down the right-had nav almost to the very bottom you'll see something called "Subscribe to RunnerDude's Blog." Underneath that you'll see a "Posts" and a "Comments" link. Click on the "Posts" link and you'll see several options for readers to add the blog to, and I believer GoogleReader is one of them. Let me know if that works.

trailgurl said...

I love your posts. Thank you for sharing.

Carol

My personal mantra on a long run or race has been

"Relax, Breathe, Have Fun..."

RunnerDude said...

Thanks TrailGurl! Great mantra!

RunnerDude said...

Hey TrailGurl, email your mantra to runnerdudeblog@yahoo.com so it can be intered into the contest.