Thursday, May 28, 2009

Making Tracks Every Day. Literally!

The other day, a fellow running buddy (Mike) asked me if I had ever heard of Matthew J. Ketterman. I asked why and he said that Matthew's a guy from our city (Greensboro, NC) who has run every day since 1991. I responded, "Oh Matt! Sure I know Matt." Matt's only 37, but he's a bit of a legend in these parts for his long lasting running streak.

This phenomenon of running every day is known as streaking. The United States Running Streak Association(USRA) defines a running streak as running at least one continuous mile within each calendar day under one's own body power (without the utilization of any type of health or mechanical aid other than prosthetic devices). There's actually a website (RunEveryDay.com) that lists the active U.S. running streakers. That's where my friend Mike discovered Matt and his 18-year streak.
I'm an avid runner, but I can't imagine running every day. That definitely takes some determination and commitment. I think having three kids ended any inkling I may have ever had about starting a running streak, but I marvel at those who can achieve such a life-long goal of running every day. One such marvel is Robert Kraft. Kraft lives in South Miami and has run 8 miles every day since March 21, 1975! This past March he completed his 100,000th mile. To learn more about this determined man they call "The Raven" check out the video clip below from ESPN.


16 comments:

Lady Southpaw said...

Wow, I was completely riveted by the video about the struggling songwriter turned prolific runner. haha, I can understand that.

Still, as much as I love running I also love my rest days so I agree with you that it seems unimaginable.

Enlightening topic I had no idea that organization existed!

RunnerDude said...

Hey Lady Southpaw! Welcome to the blog! Been checking out your website and your music! Pretty cool!!

Mel-2nd Chances said...

my body can't handle 5days/week of running, can't imagine everyday for that long! WOW

RunnerDude said...

Hey Mel-2nd Chances! I know what you mean! Pretty amazing guy.

Rookie on the Run said...

Streaking sounds great! Imagine all the money they save not having to buy running clothes!

Ha ha ha ha ha...

Streaking- of any sort- is not for me... like you say, having kids takes up a lot of spare time.

RunnerDude said...

Hey Rookie on the Run! Would save $$ on running clothes but you'd spend all the $$ getting bailed out of jail. LOL!!

Lorenda said...

"streaking" can also be running the same race every year that it has been in existence. I run a race here in MI called the CRIM and they usually announce names of people who have run all 30-some years and they referred to them as the streakers.
Running every day for years is much more impressive!
A job, kids and the need for some sleep has interfered with my running too many times.

Jo Lynn said...

Damn that's impressive. Just shows, you can find time for at least a mile a day, if it matters to you.

Paul and Beth said...

Interesting video thanks for sharing and congrats on a brilliant blog. However IMHO the Raven is hardly a glowing testamonial for "Streaking" and to be honest the Science behind it on the USA Streaking site hardly stacks up. The phrase "getting out of bed is dangerous" shouldn't be a basis for any running or fitness schedule. I'll be continuing to enjoy my well deserved rest days!

RunnerDude said...

Hey Jo Lynn! Yep, makes me think twice when I whine. LOL!

RunnerDude said...

Hey Paul and Beth! Thanks for the feeback on the blog. Greatly appreciated. Yep, not really advocating streaking just sharing this very determined man's mission. I'm more of a believer in focused quality runs as well as rest days to help you recover. But, I don't think The Raven really cares about that. I think his running is more about giving himself a goal, a mission.

Jules said...

OMG! I know Matt! He & his wife Amy are 2 of our best friends! My husband and I are godparents to their sweet new baby boy!!

and I know...isn't that amazing about matt? He even went running around the women's hospital while his wife was there after she had her baby! that's dedication! He has been doing it since his clemson days and it always amazes me!

sucha small world. And amy, just 4 mths after having ehr baby is already in the swing fo things. She was as a matter fo fact my runningpartner in the NC half!!

RunnerDude said...

Hey Jules! Tis a small world. Cool you know Matt. He's run with our group (The BlueLiners) a few times and we often see him on the greenway. Really nice guy. Hey, if you havent' already tell him about the blog and the post. I don't know his email. Thanks!

Running Through Life said...

What a touching story. With all that pain,I think that some rest days would probably benefit him.

RunnerDude said...

Hey Running Through Life. I know man. Looks like maybe for just one day he could just do a mile or something. A mighty determined man.

The Boring Runner said...

Wow, that is pretty amazing. I KNOW that there is no way that I could ever do that. EVER.

There is that one day a month where I am just too tired (read: hung over) to knock out any miles!