Thursday, December 31, 2009

Running Buddies.....Get Some

Due to school and family commitments, I haven't been able to run as much of late. Just check out my dailymile.com log and you'll see. I have started back this week and hope to get back in the groove with my school winding up next week. (The past 6 months I've been involved in an full-time intense diploma program to become a personal trainer and nutrition consultant along with getting my RRCA running coach certification. Weekend after next, I'll be away yet again getting my USA-TF Level 1 coaching certification.) Of course then real life kicks in, so that will throw a curve ball into my running I'm sure. But since my new business will be running and fitness training, at least I'll be running and working out with awesome new clients!

This brings me to the importance of having a running buddy. The past 2 months I've strayed from my network of running buddies, due to the life obstacles I mentioned earlier. And dang-it, I miss 'em! Not only do I miss their stories, bragging, moaning, and laughter along the run, I also miss the accountability they bestow on me. I don't know how "lone runners" do it. Don't get me wrong, I love a solo run to focus on my training or to just clear my head, but there's something about that weekly group run or run with a running buddy that really does a body and mind good. I think knowing that someone is counting on you to be there and you not wanting to let them down does a lot to motivate both individuals. It's especially good on those really long training runs. My short-term interruptions will soon end and I'll eventually be back with the gang. I'm looking forward to it!

So, if you're not a part of a running group or don't have a running buddy, find one! You won't be sorry. See if there's a running club in your community. Or check with your local independent running store. They often host weekly group runs.

This clip from Friends really says it all about the importance of a running buddy. Enjoy!



I'd like to give a shoutout to Chad (a fellow blogger) who inspired me to write this post. Be sure to check out his blog, Running Man.

19 comments:

runrgrl2007 said...

You already know how I feel about my running buddies! I would not run if not for them. So if your reading this and you don't have a buddy, we have room and your welcome to join us, just email me! Happy New Year RunnerDude and followers! 2010 is going to be great!

RunnerDude said...

If you're in the Greensboro, NC area and need a buddy/group, definitely take runrgrl2007 up on her invite. I've seen her group run. They are dedicated and look like an awesome bunch!

Sabrina said...

I love my running buddies!!!! Thanks for posting this, everyone needs to know the huge difference good running buddies make to helping you achieve your goals.

RunnerDude said...

Sure thing Sabrina!Hope you ande your buddies have an awesome 2010!!

Zoë said...

Running buddies are fantastic motivators. I mainly run by myself, but those long runs are tough and a buddy helps so much! And FANTASTIC video clip choice. That's my fave. :)
Happy New Year RunnerDude!

RunnerDude said...

Thanks Zoë! You're one of my virtual running buddies and I've really enjoyed your comments on the blog! Look forward to more in 2010. Have an awesome New Year!

Lara said...

hear, hear! I don't know how people can fuction without the support and camraderie of a running group. If you're especially shy, hit your local coffee shop on a Saturday morning, say, between 8:30-9:30 AM, and strike up a conversation with whatever running group is in there. That's how we picked up a new member a year ago; her husband approached us and asked if she could run! Of course, we said yes, and now I have a new, awesome friend!!

RunnerDude said...

That's awesome Lara! Runners are typically so welcoming. So, listen to Lara and don't be shy!

Will said...

RunnerDude - the Blueliners have missed you. You have been our "virtual" running buddy for a while, hope you will soon be there for real on Saturday mornings.

Tami said...

i see my running and "gym" friends more than I see my own family most of the time. we have a special bond, one that many don't understand. my two running and workout pals are guys, sometimes people will ask doesn't your husband mind but they are the best!

RunnerDude said...

Hi Tami! I agree...definitely a cool bond between running and workout buddies!

Kathy said...

Hmmm...I think I need more convincing. :) I really enjoy running alone and have been exercising regularly for over a year alone. I even do Ashtanga Yoga (crim yoga) alone. :) That just isn't done as you're supposed to only do the poses your teacher gives you. So there you go. :) I'd be afraid I'd be keeping my fellow runners back - I'm a slow runner - and I vary my miles from 12 min/mile to 9:30 depending on the heat and where the mile lies. That said, there are a whopping TWO or maybe even THREE of us who are thinking of getting together weekly for a run. One is a marathoner, one faster than me and then me. :) Should be *interesting*

RunnerDude said...

Hey Kathy! Give it a try! I love my "lone runs" too and wouldn't want to give those up, but my weekly run with others is quite refreshing. If you're all different paces, then maybe your group run should be more of a low-key social run. Or, invite others so you have more paces you your group. The group I run with consists sometimes of 5 and sometimes 25. We run all different paces, but usually there's enough of us to form smaller groups or like I sadi we'll just agree to a pace so we can all stay together if it's a small group. Let me know how it goes!

Kerrie said...

I met several running buddies through blogging! Love running with a buddy!

Kenley said...

Great Post Runnerdude! That video had me laughing hard. My wife comes running with me sometimes, and I had a group run every Sunday morning, (had being the operative word). I decided Church was more important and that is the only time they go. I had to leave the group. Maybe I'll try and start my own. Great Article. Have a good one and Happy New Years! I met my 500 mile goal for 2009 so I am ready to go for it now.

RunnerDude said...

Hi Kerrie! Happy New Year!

RunnerDude said...

Hi Kenley! Yep that clip keeps me laughting too! That's a great idea...start your own running group! Mine runs early on Saturday morninings and it works great. Happy New Year!

Dena said...

THAT PICTURE!!! I was so wiped that day... 20 miles, humidity, Lisa throwing water at me off her bike. =) I never would have made it if not for running buddies. I'm with you - I don't see how the loners do it. Looking forward to doing some runs with you and all the other great runners in GSO in 2010!

Patrik said...

Agree with you! Running can be so much more easier and fun when running with others but a solo run is also nice once in a while.