Monday, December 7, 2009

How Running Changed My Life: Jerry's Story

Like many, Jerry thought his health was fine until the doctor gave him news otherwise. A little shocked and dismayed, Jerry found his way to running and better health. In his own words, here's Jerry's story.
-
About 7 years ago, at age 57, I went to my doctor for a checkup. I always considered myself to be physically fit. I wasn't a jock by any stretch of the imagination, but always did something to work out; I am also obsessive. At this point in my life I had not been working out and had gained some weight. My doctor told me I was overweight and had borderline high blood pressure. He told me to come back in 30 days for another test. He said I should go on an exercise program and a low sodium diet and he would retest my blood pressure.

I was in shock. I did not want to be on medication. I walked into a bookstore and found a book about running. Now I had never been a runner. In fact, I never had any desire to run. I purchased the book, which showed a simple 13-week plan for a beginning runner. A walk run program. I started the program and went back to my doctor after 30 days. My blood pressure was no longer borderline high. It had dropped dramatically in only 30 days and I avoided medicine.


As they say the rest in history. I ran a marathon later that year in Bermuda and another last year in Philadelphia. I also ran a half-marathon in Brooklyn. This year I ran the ING New York marathon and raised money for the NYRR's foundation "Team for Kids". I am a member of a running club called North Jersey Masters and I run several races a month. I've run about 12 races in New York already this year including the Team Championships. Oh, did I forget to tell you that I am 64 years old? I have lost 30 pounds and most people say I look 45! I owe it to running. As I said, I am obsessive, but I do love running.—Jerry

Jerry, you are a true inspiration! I can think of worse obsessions to have than running. Your racing schedule is impressive and your fundraising at the same time for a great organization like Team for Kids, is awesome! Thanks for sharing your story.

2 comments:

The Boring Runner said...

I can't think of a better way to stay off of medicine. Just think of all of the money you are saving w/out having to buy it. All the more money for entry fees!

RunnerDude said...

Hi Adam! Now that's a great way to look at it!!!