Monday, December 28, 2009

10 "Did You Knows" About Running

As runners we all know about things like hydration, pace, and eating pasta before a big race. Well, here's a few facts and tips that may be new and even a little surprising to you.

1. Did you know that you should remove any metal jewelry from body piercings (yes, ears included) before running, if it's freezing outside? Metal conducts low temperatures to your skin with amazing efficiency. So efficient, that it can increase the risk of frost bite! Ouch!

2. Did you know that buying a higher priced running shoe doesn't necessarily mean your getting a better shoe as compared to the lower priced shoes? Research shows that actually many lower-priced shoes provide better support, decreasing the chances of plantar fasciitis.

3. Did you know that you can prevent the burning sensation in your lungs during cold runs? Doing a 5 to 10-minute warm-up inside before heading outdoors gets rid of the chemicals that cause that pain-inducing inflammation in your lungs. Try it. You'll be surprised.

4. Did you know you should do resistance training before your running if you have them planned for the same day? Running will fatigue your muscles and decrease the effectiveness of your resistance workout.

5. Did you know that all runners, especially running seniors, should incorporate resistance training into a regular weekly routine? Resistance training builds bone density in younger individuals and helps maintain bone density in older adults.

6. Did you know that new mothers returning to running should add an extra 400 to 500 calories each day to their diet? New mothers have to account for the extra calories needed during lactation as well as the calories needed for their running.

7. Did you know that downhill sprints are just as important as uphill charges in building strength and speed? Running sprints downhill conditions your body to what it feels like running faster. Be careful though. That hill doesn't have to be a steep one. A 10-15% grade will work nicely.

8. Did you know that if it's zero degrees or a wind chill of -20 degrees outside you should find a treadmill or an inside track for your run? Running in these conditions vastly increases your chance of frostbite.

9. Did you know that it's a good idea to alternate intense periods of training with lighter periods of training? Try a 3-three-weeks-heavy, three-weeks-light approach. After three weeks of heavy training, cut the intensity back by 30-50% for the next three weeks. This gives your body time to recover and acclimate to the training you've just put your body through.

10. Did you know that a pity party after a bad race is okay? But keep it to the ride home only. Then get over it and pick your next race.

23 comments:

kara said...

I seem to repeat #10 over and over again...
Great list!

Relentless Forward Commotion said...

Great list! I can attest for #6...running and feeding my babies left me ravenous, and thirsty!!

RunnerDude said...

Hey Kara! I'm right with ya on #10!

RunnerDude said...

Hey Heather! Can't personally attest to #6, but my female running buddies who have kids support my findings as you do too!

Rookie on the Run said...

Great post! Interesting information. I don't live in a cold climate but that's good to know about the jewelry... I had no idea!

RunnerDude said...

Thanks Rookie on the Run! I was surprised by that one too!Luckily I have no jewelry to remove! LOL!

Anonymous said...

I had no idea about #3 but I am going to try it out- I get this a lot and it kills my first, and sometimes second, mile!

Thanks :)

RunnerDude said...

Sure thing, Onelittletrigirl! Let know how it works for ya!

Molly said...

didn't know about #1, but just read about the hard/easy workout theroy in the book 50 50, it's a great read.

Kenley said...

Wow, great post runnerdude. I never really thought about the jewelry thing, but then again, I dont wear any. But still cool to know. I hit the treadmill when it is 40 or below. I am a whimp I know. Whatever. Have a good one, and thanks for the awesome post.

RunnerDude said...

Hi Molly! That 50/50 is a great book!

RunnerDude said...

Hey Kenley! Running is running no matter where you're doing it.

Ann Brennan said...

Thanks for sharing. Number 10 is the hardest to follow. Number 4 is the easiest. I love my weight training. And I really did not know the thing about jewelry. Thanks for that.

Keri said...

Hi runnerdude, I read about running A LOT and many of these were new to me! I love learning new stuff about running. Thanks for the tips!

Unknown said...

Great list RunnerDude! Still working on #10...

RunnerDude said...

You rock Ann! Keep on running! Happy New Year!

RunnerDude said...

Hi Blue-Eyed Runner!I'm an avid running reader too and some of these were newbies for me too!

RunnerDude said...

Hi Noah! #10 is hard for many, but just keep remembering that negative energy does no good. So pout for an hour or so and then set a new race goal.

Lara said...

#9 is a God-send!! I'm working on my 2010 running goals for the year, and alternating intensities is part of that. Thank you!

Felice Devine said...

Like the list! I need to remind myself of #10 for sure!

The Boring Runner said...

INTERESTING... I have always thought the exact opposite of #4. My thought process was that the tired/sore muscles would lead to a greater chance of injury while running. What have they taught you during your training, Thad?

The Boring Runner said...

Huh, cool! Well, one of my 2010 goals is to get back into weight training - so this was very topical info. Here is to hoping for an injury free new year!

RunnerDude said...

Hi Adam! LOL! It can get confusing. The best senario is not to do both in one day, but if you have to, the rule of thumb is to to your resistance workout first. This mainly pertains to when you're trying to get both in during one workout session, but if you've done a blowout leg workout, then probably best not to run that day. But if you're planning a normal upperbody workout or even full body workout, if you've run beforehand you're not going to be able to have as good a workout. (Note: This doesn't pertain to a quick warm-up jog on the treadmill prior to the real workout. You should still do some type of cardio (8-10mins) as a warm up to your resistance training just to get your blood flowing and body temp up.) Now if you're running early in the morning and working out late in the afternoon, then it probably doesn't matter the order. Thanks for keeping me on my toes! Happy New Year Adam-man!