If you've been following the blog, you may remember a post about a wonderful nonprofit organization called GO FAR (Go Out For a Run). GO FAR is a comprehensive fitness program for children which promotes physical activity, healthy eating and good character. The goal of the GO FAR program is to empower children to make healthy lifestyle choices that they may integrate and sustain throughout their entire life. Specifically, GO FAR teaches children to set and reach goals and complete a 5K road race. GO FAR was developed in response to the childhood obesity epidemic.
Today I had the wonderful privilege of attending the 7th Annual GO FAR 5K Fall race held in High Point, NC. 1000 runners (a record crowd) ran the race. About 75% of the runners were kids and the other 25% were coaches, volunteers, and parents. The success of the race is a result of the GO FAR kids, their great mom's and dads, teachers and the dedicated volunteers and wonderful sponsors.
What a wonderful experience of accomplishment for the kids, coaches, parents, and volunteers. I didn't know any of the runners, but my heart swelled with pride as I watched them cross that finish line. It was truly inspiring seeing their beaming faces as they finished and received their medals.
GO FAR is not just a program for North Carolina. The organization has already branched out to other states and it hopes to grow even more. To find out more about starting a GO FAR Club in your area [click here]. To get a sampling of what a GO FAR 5K race is like, check out the video clip below that RunnerDude filmed of today's festivities!