Be sure to check out the National Trail Running Day website for a wealth of information from info on trail running shoes, to finding National Trail Running Day events, to finding running trails near you. You can also find information on National Trail Running Day on Facebook and Twitter.
Chris gives 8 great reasons to go trailing:
- Strengthens your leg muscles that road running does not.
- Improves balance and agility from running on uneven surfaces.
- Increases your mental toughness.
- Biophillia – humans want to be close to nature. Trail Running increases your time in nature.
- The primal thrill of using your body for what it was made to do, be a long distance, all-terrain vehicle.
- Reduces injury because running on soft surfaces is better for you joints. Also, the differing steps do not put as much stress on certain parts of your body.
- Less traffic and cleaner air.
- Running in the shade is cooler, allowing you to run longer distances and get a better overall work out.
So, check with your running club or your local running store and see if they have anything planned for National Trail Running Day (August 22). If they don't encourage them to use that day to promote, celebrate, and experience the sport of Trail Running. Suggest a trail race, some group trail runs, or some trail clean-ups.