Monday, May 3, 2010

Over 1000 Run Their First 5K!

Many of you know that have the honor and privilege of being a board member for a wonderful nonprofit organization called GO FAR (Go Out For A Run). GO FAR is a 10-week program that trains elementary-aged kids (mainly 3rd, 4th, and 5th graders) to run their first 5K. In addition to the running, the program also fosters character-building skills and teaches the young participants how to make good fitness and nutrition decisions.

This past Saturday, over 1,000 runners (mostly kids ages 8-12) participated in the Spring 2010 GO FAR 5K in High Point, NC, to celebrate the completion of their GO FAR programs. Students from 24 area elementary schools that host GO FAR programs as well as a few other non-school-related organizations that host GO FAR programs participated in the race. It was quite a site seeing hundreds of kids clad in school-colored GO FAR shirts, gathered around school tents, while doing group stretching with their GO FAR coaches prior to the race. Some were even doing motivational cheers to pump themselves up for the big event. Not only did I see kids and coaches, I saw entire families participating.

I was honored that Robin Lindsay (GO FAR founder) asked me to video tap the event again this year. I had a blast going from group to group getting footage of all the excited participants prior, during, and after the race. While videotaping, I even helped one poor little guy who got a tummy ache during the run by walking with him a few blocks. I thought he was going to have to sit out, then all of the sudden he got a burst of energy and was gone....left me in his dust. Now that's sticktoitness! I saw the little fella later and he was laughing and having a great time with his fellow running buddies.

To find out more about GO FAR and how to bring the program to your school or community, be sure to check out their website.

Below is my video creation. I hope you have as much fun watching it as I did making it.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

This is awesome. I love watching kids run. They are so relaxed at the start (I can certainly learn from them), give it everything they've got and smile at the finish, no matter how they did. IT makes coaching so worthwhile.

1000 kids running 5K? Now, that's impressive.

Johann said...

My son, 9 years old, ran his 1st 5km last year. It was very special. He has now done 4 more. Getting kids to run is so great.

KovasP said...

What a great program. My wife is part of a Healthy Kids Committee at our kids' elementary school and they are putting on their first 1 mile fun run this Thursday to promote fit families. Great to see programs around the country!

RunnerDude said...

Hi Cynthia! Yep, a few were nervous, but most had not a care in the world which speaks to the great coahing on behalf of the GO FAR coahches

RunnerDude said...

Hi Johann! That's Awesome! Give him a big high-5 for me!

RunnerDude said...

Hi Kovas! That's awesome what your wife and her group are doing!

Rachel said...

AMAZING! what a fabulous program, lucky you for getting to be a part of it!

Anonymous said...

Awesome job on the video you put together! What and great day...oh to be a kid again and enjoy the pure pleasure of running!
Congrats on all your hard work.
Brian

RunnerDude said...

Thanks Brian! I was a blast watching all those kids run and just as much fun putting the video together. Can't wait until the fall 5K!

RunnerDude said...

Hey Rachel! Yes, lucky indeed. Thanks!