Friday, October 16, 2009

CHANGE—It's a Good Thing!

Many of you know that I'm about halfway through a pretty intense 6-month personal trainer and nutrition consultant certification program. It's all a part of my life-career change. Although, I've never really liked change, I've always handled it usually with a laid-back attitude. Change is going to happen, so you might as well get on board. I guess it comes from growing up as a PK (preacher's kid). My dad is a retired Methodist minister. When I was growing up, we moved about every 4-5 years. New church, new home, new school, new friends—Change. As a little kid I looked at it as an adventure, but as I got older, the change became harder to deal with. Stronger friendships ended or changed. Starting at a new high school is very different from starting a new elementary school. As the peer-pressures of the teenage years set in, the change was harder to deal with. But as with each move, I acclimated and ended up with experiences and life-long friendships that would never have occurred staying in one place.

My career change from the world of publishing into the world of fitness brings back memories of that change I experienced as a child. But, oh how exhilarating this change has been. While I loved my work in the field of educational publishing, I really haven't looked back or longed for that previous life. Oh yes, the security of that 9-5 job and the security of that bi-weekly paycheck is greatly missed, but now I'm focused on this new journey.

My fellow students in the certification program I'm currently immersed in are such an inspiration. They're living proof that change at any age can be a wonderful thing. Sharon (about 50), a mom of a teenage son and taking care of her elderly mom, is one of the fittest and most inspirational people I've met. What a role model she's going to be for us older wannabe fitness buffs. Bill is 52 and the survivor of a multitude of health problems including a liver transplant. He worked me over in a killer core routine the other day. Go Bill! Then there's Steve, 56 (like me) was laid off from a long career. Knowing Steve has proven to me that aging doesn't mean you have to be a stagnant couch potato. He's one of the most active people I know regardless of his age. Then there's Jen who is 40. Jen's a mom of two young children, but man can she give a killer workout! Johnathan who is 18 was my third assigned workout partner. This cool youngun taught me a lot about technique and really proved to me how focused, dedicated, and genuine the younger end of the population can be.

Change—It's going to come. Sometimes it comes when you least expect it like my job layoff. Other times you have to initiate the change—deciding to run a marathon, begin a fitness program, lose 50lbs. In either case you have a choice. You can embrace it and welcome it or you can resist it. Embracing change may be hard at first, but it's a lot better in the long-run than rebuking it. If it's a health- or fitness-related change, embracing it can make your goal so much easier to achieve.
Negativity can be very draining. It's amazing how just a simple attitude change can lighten the load. The first few weeks after being laid off, I was depressed both physically and mentally. Once I decided to embark on this new life-change and embraced it wholeheartedly, that depression lifted. I became energized.
Am I scared? Hell yeah! But, you know there's nothing wrong with being scared. I know I'm going to make mistakes, but being proactive about my own future is very empowering. I'm not sure where life is going to take me with my new career, but I have a hunch it's going to be an exciting life-long adventure.
Are you ready for change? Are you ready to start that fitness or running program you've been thinking about for years? Are you ready to drop those 25, 50, 100lbs? Are you ready to try that yoga class? Are you ready for a healthier lifestyle? Make the decision, embrace it, tell your family and friends about your goals and that you'll need their support. Then jump in with both feet. No looking back!

28 comments:

Chris Barber, SeriousRunning.com said...

Looks like change is a good thing. Glad to hear things are going well for you and you're almost done with certifications. Keep up the awesome blog posts.

Change is like taking off a band-aid, best done in one quick motion.

RunnerDude said...

Hey Chris! Thanks man! I love the band-aid anology!

Anonymous said...

I agree that change is difficult to deal with. Change is the only constant there is in life and it's what people fear the most. You're embracing it like the Champ you are and you inspire others to do the same through your blog. Thanks for your kind words.

You Rock, Hercules, keep blogging!

RunnerDude said...

Thanks She-rah! You truly are an inspiration!

Running Through Life said...

Glad to hear the career change is going so well. I think you picked the perfect career path for yourself. Keep up the positive attitude and good luck!

ShutUpandRun said...

Great post. The fitness world is better having you in it!

Unknown said...

I consider myself lucky to be in the same training progam and on the same journey with you to make a difference in the fitness industry. I know you will make an AWESOME trainer.

Marisa Lynn Carter said...

No doubt it's a good thing! It is what keeps us evolving. Always welcome and embrace it. You rock!

RunnerDude said...

Thanks Tony! Your support means a great deal! Hope the family is well!

RunnerDude said...

Hey ShutUpAndRun! Thanks!!

RunnerDude said...

Hey Rocky!!! Ditto man! You are already so good at what you do. You've taught me a great deal! You've also helped boost my confidence in the gym. Your clients are gonna love you as a trainer!

Junk Miler said...

I knew it! Wish I said something - I'm a PK too. The Episcopalian flavor. That means I've been drinking alcohol since I was 4.

RunnerDude said...

HI Marisa! Thanks! You've given me so many good leads to follow-up on and really invigorated/inspired me with your ideas and conversation! THANKS!

RunnerDude said...

Hi Josh! Kindred souls we are. LOL!

Thomas Tan said...

Chain chain change, change of life...

Sorry, got carried away there. Great post and perhaps this quote by Bob Proctor is more fitting to sum up what I think is the message from RunnerDude to all of us:

"It's the little things you do that can make a big difference. What are you attempting to accomplish? What little thing can you do today that will make you more effective? You are probably only one step away from greatness."

RunnerDude said...

Hey Thomas! Your timely insight is always so dead-on! Thanks!

The Boring Runner said...

Sometimes change, even forced, can be a good thing. "Find a job that you love and you'll never be forced to go to work another day in your life"

Besides, you look LOTS better with the gotee. So, the change HAD to be good, right? :)

RunnerDude said...

Hey Adam! Thanks man! So the Goatee's a keeper, huh? LOL!

Anonymous said...

This is super inspiring. I am currently in my 8th (8th!!!) year of college (I go part time at nights) and even though I am graduating in the Spring, I have already decided not to use my degree. I am going to dive right back in and go for nutrition. I don't think i will ever be done school!

RunnerDude said...

Hey Onelittletrigirl! You go girl!

Kathy said...

What an encouraging post! Its amazing that you can look back and see the amazing change you have gone through....I mean...you're even TANNER!!! lol :D

No, but seriously, I'm glad I stumbled upon this blog! This is my first time stopping by :)

RunnerDude said...

Hey Believe! Welcome to the blog!! LOL! Yep, I do have more color now don't I!? LOL! Thanks for the encouragment and support. Hope you're a frequent visitor to the blog!

Anonymous said...

Hey Hercules! What a touching article! Change for many of us has been a roller coaster ride - full of many ups and downs. I know I have been faced with challenges that I never thought would happen to me. I can relate to being depressed and thinking now what! You tend to lose confidence and get stuck in a rut. I knew I had to make a change in my life and I figured why not do something I love. Enrolling in the certification program has given me hope and confidence, plus that's where I met you!!!! It's a great group of people who inspire me and make me laugh.
You will do great with your new business because you are determined, smart, kind, patient and fun! Your HERCULES!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Hercules!
Sorry, my name did not appear on the previous post!
Jen Willett

RunnerDude said...

Hi Jen! You're one strong lady and not just physically! Thanks for the vote of confidence! Greatly appreciated!!!

Paul and Beth said...

dude you look like a different person in that second picture... energized, healthy and focused. I'm so pleased that you are enjoying your new path and that part of it is this blog. Through your change your posts evoke positive changes in my training and life. Thanks for that and for this blog.

RunnerDude said...

Hi Paul and Beth! Thanks so much for the support and kind words. Means a great deal! So glad the blog has been a positive in your training!

Chad said...

Thanks for that, I am glad to hear you are embracing this inevitable thing called change.
A PK, eh? Well, we all carry our burdens. I joke.