Sunday, August 29, 2010

Upper-Body Workout for Runners

Friday's post talked about the importance of a strong upper body for runners, especially as we age. The post gave a workout for the core and today I have a workout for the upper-body (arms, chest, and back).

As a runner, the focus of the upper-body workout should be to gain muscular endurance. So, go with lighter weights and higher repetitions. 10lbs to 15lbs dumbbells are sufficient for this workout. You can also use light or medium resistance bands or resistance tubes instead of dumbbells.

The workout consists of a 7-exercise circuit. Do each exercise (10-15 reps) one right after the other without taking a break. Once you've completed all 7 exercises, take a 1- to 2-minute rest; then repeat the circuit a second time. If you're new to upper-body exercises, then begin with 10 repetitions. Each day add an additional rep until you get to 15 repetitions. Also, if upper-body exercise is new to you, begin with one cycle of the circuit for the first week. During Week 2, complete two cycles of the circuit. If you're advanced, try three cycles of the circuit.

It's fine to pair the upper-body circuit with the core workout on the same day. Try doing the core workout in the morning and the upper-body circuit in the evening. You can also rotate days. For example you could do the upper-body workout on M,W,F and do the core workout on T,TH,S. The great thing about circuit workouts is that they're quick. You'll have a strong core and upper body before you know it and you'll start to see the benefits in your long runs too!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good stuff. I like that every exercise can be done with stuff in the typical home gym.

RunnerDude said...

Hey Jamoosh! Thanks man. I like keeping things simple. I think a lot of people steer clear of fitness because they think they have to invest a lot of money or join a gym. You can definitley do all that, but there's so much you can do with simple equipment and even body weight.

Are you training for any upcoming races?

Kenley said...

In definite agreement with the fact that these exercises can be done with out visiting the gym. I love the push up using the 2 balls, as I will have to try that out for balance and stability. Thanks for sharing this.

RunnerDude said...

Thanks Kenley! Once you've done the pushup with the two balls, try the same thing but put your feet (toes) both on one ball, so your up in the air on three balls. Then do your pushups. Tough!

Andrew Opala said...

great set of workouts RunnerDude ... I may alter the stuff I'm doing on my non-run days: http://runningmanwannabe.blogspot.com/p/running-programs.html

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing. I'm always looking for something different. Variety is important.

saundra said...

RunnerDude, I love your blog, especially the workout posts that you do. My question is this: How does one fit all of these workouts into a week along with running, swimming, biking. etc? Can you provide a sample schedule for days/ drills?

anna said...

This article is excellent. I'm still trying to follow the entire workout from start to finish. I'm not giving up:) Anna

RunnerDude said...

Hi Saundra! That's where my coaching side steps in. Go to www.runnerdudesfitness.com and then go to the contacts page and shoot me an email. I'll be happy to work with you in your specific need and how to fill in all that you want to achieve. Look forward to hearing from you.

RunnerDude said...

Hey Anna! Keep at it, you'll do and and you'll feel awesome! Keep me posted!

anna said...

I did it :) My first exercise from start to the end! Thanks Thad! It feels great, and you were right!

RunnerDude said...

That's awesome, Anna! I knew you'd do it! Go Anna!