Saturday, February 11, 2012

Runners! Celebrate National Pancake Month with this Healthy Pancake Recipe

Healthy Pancakes on the Run
In honor of February being National Pancake Month, I'm sharing my pancake recipe, perfect for kids and runners!

The other morning I was running late for my long run with my running. I didn't have time to fix my
usual breakfast, so I pulled out a leftover pancake from a batch I had made the previous morning. I folded it over like a taco and ate it cold; no syrup. It was delicious! Of course it did have chocolate chips, but then again, I was doing a long run. Felt great on my run. Yes, I know. Pancakes aren't that great for you, but I love them! So, I decided to make it my mission to make a healthier pancake I could eat before a run that my family would enjoy too. To my amazement, I created something that my kids even like.

I tried several different recipes using 100% regular whole wheat flour, but they always seem too heavy. I read about 100% unbleached white whole wheat flour and decided to give it a try. Regular 100% whole wheat flour is made from red wheat that has a coarse texture and a slightly bitter taste. 100% white whole wheat flour is made from an albino variety of wheat that has a smoother texture and a sweeter taste, yet still provides the same health benefits as the regular variety of whole wheat flour. The result is a lighter milder tasting pancake. Just like regular whole wheat flour, white whole wheat flour is not bleached and not bromated. Several companies produce 100% white whole wheat flour, but in my area the King Arthur Flour Company is the brand that I find readily available.

Instead of whole eggs, I used only egg whites. Egg Beaters 100% Liquid Egg Whites work well too. Most of the protein is found in the egg whites, flour and the milk (4.5g). The protein powder adds about 3 more grams of protein to each pancake. Total, each pancake packs 7.5 grams of protein. Only 2 tablespoons of honey are used in the recipe. There's not much difference between table sugar and honey, but I just prefer the taste. Surprisingly no salt is used and you'd never know it. If you miss the salt, just add 1/2 tsp to the batter. The recipe does call for an ample amount of oil, but by using canola, only 3 grams of saturated fat ends up in the whole batch. The rest is polyunsaturated and monounsaturated.

Ingredients:
2 c. 100% unbleached white whole wheat flour, sifted
2 tsp. baking powder
4 egg whites (Egg Beaters-100% Liquid Egg Whites work well too!)
2 tbsp. honey
3 tbsp. canola oil
1 1/2 c. skim milk
2 tsp. vanilla or butternut flavoring
1 scoop of vanilla flavored whey protein powder

Directions:
Add the dry ingredients to a large mixing bowl. Combine the liquid ingredients in a separate bowl. Add the liquid mixture to the dry ingredients and stir until combined (it's okay to have a few lumps). Cook the pancakes on nonstick griddle at 375 degrees. Makes about eight 5-inch pancakes.
Serving size = 2 pancakes: Protein = 15g; Total Fat = 11g; Saturated Fat = 1g; Monounsaturated Fat = 7g; Polyunsaturated Fat = 3; Calories = 222

Variations:
  • Make a double batch and store the left over pancakes in zippered baggies. Make individual servings by putting 2 pancakes in a baggie. When reheating leftover refrigerated pancakes, remove them from the baggie, place them on a plate and microwave for about 30-35 seconds.
  • Want a heavier pancake? Use regular 100% whole wheat flour.
  • Want to use less oil? Try substituting applesauce for some of the oil or add another egg white in place of some of the oil.
  • Want to cut some of the calories? Use Stevia instead of honey.
  • Like more texture in your pancakes? Add pecans or walnuts to the batter.
  • Like your pancakes sweeter? Add blueberries, strawberries, or bananas to the batter or on of cooked pancakes.
  • Need a little more oomph to entice your kids? Try adding a few semi-sweet chocolate chips to the batter.
  • Miss the salt? Add 1/2 tsp to the batter.
  • Want more protein? Add another scoop of protein powder. That will increase the protein to 15 grams per serving (2 pancakes).
5 Cooking Tips for Making the Perfect Pancake
  • Use fresh ingredients. 
  • Let the ingredients come to room temperature before making your pancake.
  • Let the batter sit for a little while (about 10 minutes) before heading to the griddle. This gives the baking powder time to activate.
  • Be sure the griddle is nice an hot before pouring the first pancake.
  • Wait until tiny bubbles appear all over the surface of the pancake before flipping. 

    5 comments:

    Ron said...

    your two recent posts are a staple for me. And just when you get tired of pancakes, there's french toast and waffles too!

    RunnerDude said...

    Awesome! Both favorites of mine too! Chocolate milk and pancakes...can't get much better than that!

    Caryn said...

    Great Harvest Bread Co here in Raleigh has a pancake mix you can buy that is to die for! It's loaded up with oats, whole wheat flour and good stuff. Yummy and healthy! Not sure if you have one close to you, but if you do, check it out. I LOVE pancakes before my long runs :-)

    Racer said...

    My pancake recipe adds a couple Tbs flax meal and cup of Greek yogurt--more protein and other nutrients. Beat the egg whites to give more body and keep choco chips or berries from burning

    PRE LIVES ON said...

    If you want to go without any eggs use bananas not only does it add an amazing flavor with the nuts or chocolate chips but it cuts the fat and you can use less syrup or none at all if they are going on the run with you:)